Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Very slow burning speeds with Brasero in Jaunty

It's been a while since I installed Jaunty Jackalope, and was really satisfied with everything except sound issues.
However, another issue came to light when i tried burning a DVD today.
It is a normal data DVD, 4.3 GB worth, which I'm burning with Brasero...
I started at 7.01 pm , its 8.23 pm as I am writing this and Brasero still hasn't finished burning :|

The process starts with a checksum image being generated which takes about 5 mins...
Then the actual burning process starts with burning speeds reported at 0.3x (OMFG!)...
The progress bar goes upto exactly 50% after which the progress bar returns to 0%...
Hereafter, you are left wondering when the process will end with the progress bar not progressing at all.
Then finally the finalizing process starts with another checksum being calculated.
Its been around 30 odd minutes and Brasero is still calculating the final checksum.

DMA!! ... Nope! DMA is enabled for my DVD drive (by default in Jaunty)... so this definitely seems a bug with Brasero...

It has been reported :
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/brasero/+bug/330068

However, there seems to be no progress on this front watsoever. People have also reported that burning speeds are normal with K3b and Gnomebaker. So, I'm definitely switching to one of these...
I'll edit this post, once the burning process is done!

Till then, Cheers!

EDIT:
(101 mins):: Its 8.42pm, the final checksum process has still not finished...

(131 mins):: Its 9.12pm... I'm running out of patience!

(147 mins):: 9.28pm ... I'm out of patience... I hit 'Cancel'... Instantly, I get DVD successfully burnt, Total time : 02:27:18. Uncool... x-(

:: 3.2 GB with K3b in 00:09:29 ... \m/


No comments: